The Research Acceleration Office (RAO) at Colorado State University was created to support and facilitate the development of new, groundbreaking research. In order to accomplish this ultimate goal, the Office works to facilitate the creation of new research teams that focus on multi/inter/transdisciplinary partnerships.
In order to further the research opportunities of these groups, the RAO endeavors to align researchers with strategic, significant funding opportunities that will allow the teams to pursue their research goals more effectively than ever before.
This process in turn flows into the Office’s final mission: to increase CSU’s overall research success and standing, ensuring that Colorado State is on the cutting edge of university-sponsored research.
This position will provide highly developed knowledge, expertise and project management skills for proposal development support for complex proposals and provide assistance in business development related duties. This position will serve as a liaison between all stakeholders, coordinate interactions and collaborations and develop a working knowledge of CSU’s research expertise and capabilities. In addition, this position will facilitate working groups to assist in the coordination of new interdisciplinary research initiatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- Proven oral and writing skills and acumen
- Demonstrated experience working with, and coordination of inter/multi/trans-disciplinary teams
- Advanced degree, preferably in disciplines related to agriculture, natural resources, and/or sustainability;
- 5 years of directly related experience in research development, business development, proposal development, project management, research administration, or a closely related field;
- Professional experience in an academic environment;
- Experience showing progressive increases in responsibility, and the ability to develop and complete projects with minimal supervision;
- High attention to detail and capacity to manage multiple deadlines and priorities in a complex environment;
- Demonstrated experience in managing the development of successful grants; experience in reading and interpreting funding opportunity announcements; familiarity with various sponsoring agency and electronic research administration systems;
- Understanding of grant proposal strategy and experience structuring projects to increase competitiveness; and
- Excellent interpersonal, computer, and organizational skills.
- Provide highly developed knowledge and expertise on proposal development support for complex proposals, including but not limited to: assisting in the development of proposal budgets; creating, editing, and managing proposal documents; preparing various sponsor application forms and packages; coordination of sub-recipient communications, budgets, and required documentation; coordination of cost sharing requests and budgeting; coordination of all local approvals; organizing and managing pink/red team evaluations and assessments, and providing other useful feedback and guidance on proposal competitiveness;
- Provide project management to complex proposal development efforts, including but not limited to: organizing proposal team meetings; creating and managing virtual shared workspaces; developing and adhering to a proposal development schedules; and monitoring proposal development performance;
- Serve as a liaison between investigators, administrators, agency officials, and with other CSU research staff;
- Develop a working knowledge of Colorado State University’s research expertise and capabilities in order to identify and facilitate connections for collaboration and partnership as well as internal review processes;
- Coordinate interactions and/or collaborations with external partners and/or potential sponsors (local, state, and federal government agencies, academic enterprises, non-profit organizations, private foundations, and corporations);
- Provide training and guidance to university researchers regarding proposal development; and
- Monitoring and tracking of proposal development metrics.
Business Development Duties
- Identify, set up, and manage strategic research relationships with outside institutions and organizations, including other academic institutions, private industry, foundations, and government entities; leverage CSU research portfolios;
- Expand/diversify CSU sponsored research funding through external engagements with new and existing organizations
- Liaise with all coordinating areas within CSU, including CSU Ventures, University Advancement, and College leadership, as appropriate
- Promote CSU’s research portfolio through communications, including presentations, with new and existing partner organizations
- Assist in the coordination of new interdisciplinary research initiatives by establishing, convening, and facilitating working groups to respond to funding opportunities and in anticipation of emerging areas of investment
- Provide information and feedback on content needed for workshop and training sessions hosted by the Research Acceleration Office