The Samsara AI team builds end-to-end machine learning and computer vision solutions for our customers as well as core ML infrastructure for Samsara. As a Senior I Applied Scientist you will bring rigor to strategic initiatives across the company. You will work closely with other scientists as well as full-stack, product, firmware, and platform teams to deliver models, insights, and data-driven strategies.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: The software, firmware, and hardware you build will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You want to build for scale: With over 2.3 million IoT devices deployed to our global customers, you will work on a range of new and mature technologies driving scalable innovation for customers across industries driving the world's physical operations.
- You are a life-long learner: We have ambitious goals. Every Samsarian has a growth mindset as we work with a wide range of technologies, challenges, and customers that push us to learn on the go.
- You believe customers are more than a number: Samsara engineers enjoy a rare closeness to the end user and you will have the opportunity to participate in customer interviews, collaborate with customer success and product managers, and use metrics to ensure our work is translating into better customer outcomes.
- You are a team player: Working on our Samsara Engineering teams requires a mix of independent effort and collaboration. Motivated by our mission, we’re all racing toward our connected operations vision, and we intend to win—together.
In this role, you will:
- Research how to measure and improve the Samsara product.
- Work with petabyte-scale data from Samsara devices to develop new statistical models.
- Partner with teams to ensure instrumentation is high quality and usable for analytic use cases.
- Design and develop statistical models
- Translate data into strategic insights via. reports, visualizations, etc.
- Stay connected to industry and academic research and adopt novel technology that suits Samsara’s needs.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Masters or PhD in Statistics or other quantitative field (e.g., Applied Math, Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Biology, Psychology, Political Science, etc.)
- 4+ years experience in a science related role (Data Scientist, Applied Scientist, Statistician, Quant, etc.)
- Proficiency in working with data for statistical analyses. You must be able to pull your own data via SQL, Spark, or a similar data-querying language, and model it using Python, R or a similar scripting language.
- Ability to communicate trends and learnings via data visualizations
- Ability to distill informal or ambiguous customer and business requirements into crisp problem definitions
- Proven ability to communicate verbally and in writing to technical peers and leadership teams with various levels of technical knowledge